Accredited by the International HACCP Alliance, this course presents the characteristics and application of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), a risk prevention management methodology that applies appropriate science and technology to plan, control, and document safe food processes in a food facility, consistent with the FDA's desire to implement voluntary HACCP. The course first examines HACCP's principles and concepts. The HACCP approach begins by identifying biological, chemical, and physical hazards (inputs to the system) associated with facility construction, equipment, employees, food and supplies. For prerequisite processes (e.g., personnel hygiene and training; equipment and facility cleaning, sanitizing, and maintenance; receiving and storage); and for food processes (e.g., cooking, hot and cold holding, and cooling), this course presents scientifically validated hazard control procedures that prevent, eliminate, or reduce hazards to levels that protect public health. Finally, this course describes how HACCP is applied through Active Managerial Control (AMC) to establish a functional food safety management system.
After completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the biological, chemical, and physical hazards in the food offered to consumers in a food system.
- Determine which hazards are significant risks.
- Determine, write, and validate adequate controls for those hazards.
- Write a Food Safety Management Plan that provides an appropriate level of protection for customers.
- Train and supervise employees to perform controls that strive for zero customer illness or injury during the life of the business.
Who Should Take This?
- Professionals in the food industry.
End Of Course Instructions
- Upon successful completion of the course, the certificate of completion will be available from the training page.
Subject Matter Expert
- Dr. Snyder has been food safety educator, researcher, and consultant for over 50 years: in the Army, at the University of Minnesota, and as a consultant. His goal is to help operators improve the quality and safety of their operations through better understanding of the processes while simplifying food preparation procedures and reducing cost. As an Army officer, Dr. Snyder commanded Quartermaster field units and developed radiation-sterilized food and microwave systems. While Associate Professor at the University of Minnesota, he began Minnesota's food management HACCP self-control program. Currently, he helps foodservice operators to implement HACCP safety self-control programs while working to standardize retail HACCP. He has lectured in the U.S., Mid-East, Australia, and Europe; has published widely on retail food safety topics such as safe hand washing; and has been an expert witness in foodborne illness and food safety lawsuits.
- Lesson 1: The Food Safety Problem
- Lesson 2: The HACCP Approach to Food Safety
- Lesson 3: The Food Safety Management Plan
- Lesson 4: Physical Hazards in Food
- Lesson 5: Chemical Hazards in Food: Part 1
- Lesson 6: Chemical Hazards in Food: Part 2
- Lesson 7: Biological Hazards: Part 1
- Lesson 8: Biological Hazards: Part 2
- Lesson 9: Biological Hazards: Part 3
- Lesson 10: Biological Hazards: Part 4
- Lesson 11: Personal Hygiene and Control
- Lesson 12: Cleaning and Maintenance
- Lesson 13: Supplies
- Lesson 14: Menu HACCP
- Lesson 15: Recipe Engineering
- Lesson 12: Putting It All Together - The Manual
- Each quiz must be passed with a miminum of 70% to proceed to the next lesson.
- The final exam must be passed successfully with 70% or higher in order to receive your certificate of completion.
- HACCP Basics for Processors and Manufacturers
- HACCP Basics for Processors and Manufacturers - Bundle
- HACCP Basics for the Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce Industry
- HACCP Managing Food Safety at the Retail Level Bundle
- HACCP Managing Food Safety at the Retail Level
- HACCP for Food Handlers
- HACCP Basics for the Bottled Water Processors
- Certified Professional - Food Safety (CP-FS)
- Certified Professional - Food Safety (CP-FS) Bundle
- GHS Training for Managers & Supervisors
- GHS Training for U.S. Workers