ServSafe® Training & Certification Programs
ServSafe® Training & Certification Programs are the most current and comprehensive food, beverage and operation training programs in the industry.
The ServSafe® program is developed by the National Restaurant Association with the help of foodservice industry experts who face the same risks you do every day. Your concerns are our concerns.
Our years of experience and inside knowledge of the foodservice industry are at the core of our courses, exams, and materials. We can prepare you to handle food sanitation risks because we have direct experience with it. We also have reliable materials, flexible options, and expert food safety educators.
ServSafe® Food Handler - Learn basic food safety practices for preparing and serving food. Earn your food handler certificate from the foodservice experts, the National Restaurant Association. Read More
ServSafe® Manager - Learn about foodborne illness, how to prevent it and how to train employees in food sanitation. Choose from several online, classroom and language options. Earn nationally accredited food safety certification from the National Restaurant Association. Read More
ServSafe Alcohol® - Learn the essentials of responsible alcohol service. Protect yourself and your operation from risks and liabilities with alcohol training and certification from the National Restaurant Association. Read More
ServSafe Allergens™ - The number of Americans affected by food allergies is trending higher every year and studies indicate that half the fatal episodes from food allergens occur outside the home. Dining out is a serious concern for customers with food allergies, as well as their family and friends. Read More
ServSafe® Manager Training & Exams
CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED BY LAW
Because foodborne illness and outbreaks can occur so easily, food manager training & certification is required by law in many states. That means that PIC (Person In Charge) may not handle food without valid proof of training or certification. In addition, many states require the PIC (Person In Charge) to keep their food manager cards current by renewing them at legally defined intervals.
Learn about foodborne illness, how to prevent it and how to train employees in food sanitation. Choose from several online, classroom and language options. Earn nationally accredited food safety certification from the National Restaurant Association.
The ServSafe® Food Manager program provides food safety training, exams, and educational materials to foodservice managers. Students can earn the ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification, accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-Conference for Food Protection (CFP).
The program blends the latest FDA Food Code, food safety research and years of food sanitation training experience. Managers learn to implement essential food safety practices and create a culture of food safety. All content and materials are based on actual job tasks identified by foodservice industry experts.
Trust the only food safety program with roots in the foodservice industry to help you protect customer health, improve employee performance and preserve business reputation. More Information
The National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe® Food Safety training program is widely recognized and respected in the foodservice industry.
- Training and Exam Formats: Online and Classroom
- Training Languages: English, Spanish, Chinese and Korean
- Exam Languages: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Canadian French.
Top 10 reason why to choose ServSafe® Food Safety training program:
- The leading training and fully accredited certification program.
- Uses quality materials and exams created by foodservice and regulatory experts exclusively for the foodservice industry.
- Reinvests proceeds from programs back into the industry.
- Benefits from more than 40 years of proven experience in food safety and training in the foodservice industry.
- Is accepted in all 50 states, making it ideal for single and multi-unit operations.
- Is a single source, one-stop shop for both food safety training and the certification examination.
- Delivers up-to-date regulatory information.
- Provides support from foodservice subject matter experts available to answer questions.
- Offers flexible online, classroom, in-unit and one-on-one training and exam options.
- Has awarded more than 4.8 million ServSafe certifications
ServSafe® Food Handler Training & Exams
WELL-TRAINED FOOD HANDLERS ARE VALUABLE
Through training, food handlers gain important knowledge and skills that not only protect the public, themselves and their families from illness, prepare them to take advantage of opportunities for thousands of jobs available in the foodservice industry. Employers who are hiring staff see well-trained food handlers as more desirable and more valuable employees.
Foodborne illness is caused by consuming food or drink that is contaminated with germs. Perhaps the food was not fully cooked or left out at room temperature. Perhaps someone who handled the food was sick or had germs on their hands. Even the simplest errors in food handling can cause someone to get a foodborne illness, and when this happens to two or more people, it is called a foodborne outbreak.
Educating food handlers is the best way to protect the public, food handlers themselves, and their families. Properly trained food handlers can improve food safety and reduce risks and behaviors commonly associated with foodborne illness and outbreaks.
It's mission-critical to ensure the every member of your food & beverage staff understands what they must do to handle and prepare food safely. One food safety incident can destroy a business, so food safety training is vital. Here's how ServSafe® Food Handler training helps you achieve that objective.
The premier provider of food safety training is proud to offer solutions to meet any food handler training need. Whether you are an employee seeking your Food Handler Card or an operation seeking a compliant solution for your employees, the ServSafe® Food Handler Program has a product that's right for you.
Covers five key areas:
- Basic Food Safety,
- Personal Hygiene,
- Cross-Contamination & Allergens,
- Time and Temperature,
- Cleaning and Sanitation.
The National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe® Food Handler training program is widely recognized and respected in the foodservice industry.
ServSafe Alcohol® Training & Exams
How To Get Started With Alcohol Safety
ServSafe Alcohol® training and certification is widely recognized and respected in the foodservice industry. Learn the essentials of alcohol service to become a responsible vendor. Protect yourself and your operation from risks and liabilities with alcohol training and certification from the National Restaurant Association.
The ServSafe Alcohol® program prepares bartenders, servers, hosts, bussers, valets, bouncers and all front-of-house staff to effectively and safely handle difficult situations in your operation. Alcohol service involves many risks. Failure to act responsibly could result in fines, imprisonment, losing your liquor license, increased insurance costs, or losing your business. Prepare yourself to handle these risks with responsible alcohol training from a trusted and experienced source, the National Restaurant Association. Students choose from two exams when registering for a course. The ServSafe Alcohol® Primary Exam tests basic understanding. The ServSafe Alcohol® Advanced Proctored Exam tests proficiency in key concepts.
Top 8 reason to choose ServSafe Alcohol® training program:
- Uses quality materials and exams created by experienced alcohol-service professionals exclusively for the foodservice industry.
- Re-invest proceeds from programs back into the industry.
- Relies on the same development methodology as proven ServSafe® food safety training.
- Is a single source, one-stop-shop to complete both food safety and responsible alcohol service training and exam needs.
- Addresses up-to-date regulatory information.
- Provides support from subject-matter experts available to answer questions.
- Offers flexible online, classroom, in-unit and one-on-one training and exam options.
- Follows a holistic approach that teaches staff to work together to handle difficult situations.
The National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe Alcohol® training program is widely recognized and respected in the foodservice industry.
- Training and Exams Formats: Online and Classroom
- Classroom Training and Exam: English and Spanish
- Online Training and Exam: English
ServSafe Allergens™ Training & Exams
Are you protecting your guests with food allergies?
For over four decades, the National Restaurant Association has devised and delivered the most highly respected food safety training for the foodservice industry through the ServSafe® program. Here some highlights from our newest food allergy online training course.
When a guest notifies a staff member that someone in their party has a food allergy, follow the “Four R’s” listed here”
- Refer the food allergy concern to the chef, manager or person in charge.
- Review the food allergy with the guest and check ingredient labels.
- Remember to check the preparation procedure for potential cross-contact.
- Respond to the guest and inform them of your findings.
The interactive ServSafe Allergens® Online Course drives home the critical information your employees and managers need in order to accommodate guests with food allergies and respond to emergencies should they occur. It’s comprehensive training you can trust.
- Food allergies are rapidly affecting more people every year.
- Common foods like peanut, tree nuts, milk, egg, soy, wheat, shellfish and fish cause most allergic reactions.
- Twice as many people are allergic to shellfish as nuts.
- While more than 160 food items can cause allergic reactions in people with food allergies, the law identifies the eight most common allergenic food items. These food items account for 90 percent of food-allergic reactions and are the food sources from which many other ingredients are derived.
- Studies indicate that half of all fatal food allergy reactions begin outside the home.
- Some states have – and more are expected to – pass legislation requiring food allergy training.
The interactive ServSafe Allergens® Online Course provides the protection you need. It drives home the critical lessons your employees and managers need to know before an emergency occurs. It’s comprehensive training you can trust.
National Restaurant Association Other Training & Exam Programs
The ManageFirst® Program, created by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF) and managed nationally by National Restaurant Association Solutions, is a management development program that equips students with the key competencies they need to begin or advance their management careers in our demanding industry.
Program participants receive industry-respected training that prepares them to confidently lead our ever-growing industry. This management program teaches practical competencies needed to face real-world challenges in the industry. Read More
NRA Culinary Exams
The National Restaurant Association has created exams that measure knowledge on general procedures, core principles, technical skills and the how's and why's of cooking and baking.
The certificate exams attest that students have met the learning objectives and have full knowledge of the principles and practices of the culinary arts. Because the exams evaluate the student's grasp of generally accepted principles of cooking and baking, they can be used as a capstone for any culinary program. Read More
Foodservice Management Professional® (FMP®)
The Foodservice Management Professional® (FMP®) credential represents excellence across the industry.
The Foodservice Management Professional (FMP) certification recognizes exceptional managers and supervisors who have achieved the high level of knowledge, experience, and professionalism that is most valued by our industry.
The FMP credential not only signifies a professional's mastery of competencies to potential employers, but it's also an important tool that helps the industry recruit, retain and reward qualified employees. Read More
Customer Service Training
Satisfying your customers and making them want to return is an essential part of your restaurant’s success. Employees may not always have the skills needed to provide exceptional service. Restaurant scenarios will teach employees how to listen to customer needs, handle difficult situations and demonstrate outstanding service. Employees learn key elements such as BUY DVD
Harassment and Discrimination
Do your employees know what is illegal and what is not when it comes to harassment and discrimination? Help employees identify and prevent harassment & discrimination with four key training areas - What is Discrimination?, Identify Quid Pro Qua Harassment, Understand Hostile Work, Environment Harassment, and Handling Harassment. BUY DVD
Being Social Media Smart
Embarrassing photos or confidential information that could harm your business can quickly become public through social media. Can employers prevent employees from sharing inappropriate photos or sensitive company information? “Being Social Media Smart” teaches employees how to be responsible when representing themselves or their company on social media platforms. BUY DVD
ServSafe® , ServSafe Alcohol ®, ServSafe® Allergens, ManageFirst®, & Food Service Profesional® (FMP) are a registered trademark of the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation, used under license by National Restaurant Association Solutions, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the National Restaurant Association.