South Dakota Food Safety State Requirements
South Dakota Food Handlers
South Dakota food handler safety training is necessary for employees in the food service and hospitality industry. South Dakota food safety training is for employees (such as chefs, cooks, servers, preparers, vendors, caterers, supervisors and managers) who are involved in preparing, storing, or handling food that work in: (restaurants, bars, cafes, bakeries, delis, mobile food trucks, assisted-living, day care centers, and convenience stores).
South Dakota Certified Food Managers
South Dakota requires each retail food establishment to have a person-in-charge, an owner, or manager of a food establishment be a Certified Food Manager (CFM) as outlined in the FDA Food Code by successfully passing an accredited ANSI food safety certification exam.
- The ANSI Certification Exam is taken to certify that the food manager has demonstrated that he or she has the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to protect the public from foodborne illness.
- The Food Manager Certification is usually valid for 5 years. However, in a few local jurisdictions this may vary, so make sure to check with your local health authority.
South Dakota Administrative Rules – 44:02:07:03. Person in charge (PIC)
South Dakota foodservice establishments are required to have at least one person on staff who has passed an 8-hour food service training and certification program.
South Dakota – Food Manager Certification (ANSI)
Our Food Protection Manager Certification is approved by the American National Standards Institute and the Conference for Food Protection (ANSI-CFP). This accredited exam is state-accepted for food manager certification requirements for Food Management Professionals. The candidate must pass the food safety examination from an accredited certification provider to be recognized as a Certified Food Protection Manager.
South Dakota Food Safety State Regulations
- South Dakota Food Safety Code
- South Dakota Administrative Rules – Department of Health – Article 44:02 – Chapter 44:02:07 – Food Service Code
- South Dakota Administrative Rules – Department of Health – Article 44:02 – Chapter 44:02:07 – Food Service Code – Section 44:02:07:03: Person in Charge
Food Truck and Food Vendor Rules and Associations
- South Dakota Mobile Food Service Vendors
- City of Vermillion – Mobile Food Vendors (PDF)
- City of Sturgis – Mobile Food Vendors (PDF)
- City of Sioux Falls – Speciality Food Vendors (PDF)
- South Dakota State Fair – Food Vendors
- Mobile Food News – Facebook
South Dakota Food Safety State Contact Info
South Dakota Department of Health
Office of Health Protection
615 East 4th Street
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3361
We offer online Food Safety Training in South Dakota for: Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Aberdeen, Brookings, Watertown, Mitchell, Yankton, Pierre, Huron, Spearfish, Vermillion, Brandon, Box Elder, Rapid Valley, Madison, Sturgis, and many more!