New York Food Safety State Requirements
New York Food Handlers
New York food handler safety training is necessary for employees in the food service and hospitality industry. New York food safety training is for employees (such as chefs, cooks, servers, preparers, vendors, caterers, supervisors and managers) who are involved in preparing, storing, or handling food that work in: (restaurants, bars, cafes, bakeries, delis, mobile food trucks, assisted-living, day care centers, and convenience stores).
New York Certified Food Managers
New York requires each retail food establishment to have a person-in-charge, an owner, or manager of a food establishment be a Certified Food Manager (CFM) as outlined in the FDA Food Code by successfully passing an accredited ANSI food safety certification exam.
- The ANSI Certification Exam is taken to certify that the food manager has demonstrated that he or she has the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to protect the public from foodborne illness.
- The Food Manager Certification is usually valid for 5 years. However, in a few local jurisdictions this may vary, so make sure to check with your local health authority.
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene requires New York Food Protection Certificate for supervisors in any food service establishment, including non-retail and temporary food service establishments. The certificate is awarded upon successful completion of a food protection course. A person holding a Food Protection Certificate must be on premises and supervise all food preparation activities during all hours of the establishment’s operation. This certification requires applicants to take a 15-hour course (in person or online) and pass an examination (in person only).
The NYC Health Code requires supervisors of food service establishments and non-retail food service establishments be certified in food protection. NYC Health Code – Article 81: Food Preparation & Food Establishments (PDF)
New York – Food Manager Certification (ANSI)
Our Food Protection Manager Certification is approved by the American National Standards Institute and the Conference for Food Protection (ANSI-CFP). This accredited exam is state-accepted for food manager certification requirements for Food Management Professionals. The candidate must pass the food safety examination from an accredited certification provider to be recognized as a Certified Food Protection Manager.
New York Food Safety State Regulations
- New York Food Protection Course Training Manual (PDF)
- New York Health Code: Article 81 – Food Prep & Food Establishments (PDF)
- New York State Sanitary Code – Part 14, Subpart 14-1 Food Service Establishments
- New York State – Agriculture and Markets Department – Food Safety and Inspection – Application Forms
Food Truck and Food Vendor Rules and Associations
- New York City – Mobile Food Vending Unit
- New York City – Food Cart Vendor
- New York City Business – Mobile Food Vending License
- New York City – Updated Regulations 2014 – Mobile Food Vendors (PDF)
- NYC Rules – Mobile Food Vendors
- New York Street Food
- New York City Food Truck Association
- New York Magazine – Twenty Best Food Carts
- NYC Truck Food
- Midtown Lunch – Midtown NYC – Stret Vendor Issues
- Street Vendor Project
- Suffolk County – Food Code
- Long Island Food Trucks
New York Food Safety State Contact Info
New York State Department of Health
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12237
Phone: (518) 447-4580
New York County Health Departments: http://www.nysacho.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3779
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has the jurisdiction to regulate all matters affecting health in the city and to perform all those functions and operations that relate to the health of the people of NYC.
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
42-09 28th St.
Queens, NY 11101
We offer online Food Safety Training in New York for: New York City – NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany, New Rochelle, Cheektowaga, Mount Vernon, Schenectady, Utica, Brentwood, Tonawanda CDP, White Plains, Hempstead, Levittown, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and many more!