Iowa Food Safety State Requirements
Iowa Food Handlers
Iowa food handler safety training is necessary for employees in the food service and hospitality industry. Iowa food safety training is for employees (such as chefs, cooks, servers, preparers, vendors, caterers, supervisors and managers) who are involved in preparing, storing, or handling food that work in: (restaurants, bars, cafes, bakeries, delis, mobile food trucks, assisted-living, day care centers, and convenience stores).
Iowa Certified Food Managers
Iowa requires each retail food establishment to have a person-in-charge, an owner, or manager of a food establishment be a Certified Food Manager (CFM) as outlined in the FDA Food Code by successfully passing an accredited ANSI food safety certification exam.
- The Food Safety Manager Principles Course provides necessary training to help you prepare for the nationally-accredited ANSI Certification Exam.
- The ANSI Certification Exam is taken to certify that the food manager has demonstrated that he or she has the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to protect the public from foodborne illness.
- The Food Manager Certification is usually valid for 5 years. However, in a few local jurisdictions this may vary, so make sure to check with your local health authority.
Iowa – Food Manager Certification (ANSI)
Our Food Protection Manager Certification is approved by the American National Standards Institute and the Conference for Food Protection (ANSI-CFP). This accredited exam is state-accepted for food manager certification requirements for Food Management Professionals. The candidate must pass the food safety examination from an accredited certification provider to be recognized as a Certified Food Protection Manager.
Iowa Food Safety State Regulations
- Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 481-30. Food and Consumer Safety (PDF)
- Iowa Food and Consumer Safety: https://dia.iowa.gov/food-consumer-safety
- Iowa Food Safety License and Applications: https://dia.iowa.gov/food-consumer-safety/food-safety-license-applications
Food Truck and Food Vendor
- Iowa Food and Consumer Safety – Food Establishment License Application (PDF) – Iowa law prohibits a food establishment or food processing plant from opening or operating until a license has first been obtained from the appropriate regulatory authority (covers Food Service Retail Food, and Mobile Food operations).
- Iowa Food and Consumer Safety – Farmers Market License Application (PDF)
- Iowa Food and Consumer Safety – Temporary Food License Application (PDF)
- Iowa City – Mobile Vending Association
- City of Des Moines – Transient Mobile Food Vendor (PDF)
- City of Dubuque – Mobile Food Unit Requirements
- City of Ames – Mobile Vending
Iowa Food Safety State Contact Info
Iowa Department of Inspections
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0083
We offer online Food Safety Training in Iowa for: Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City, Iowa City, Waterloo, Council Bluffs, Ames, West Des Moines, Dubuque, Ankeny, Urbandale, Cedar Falls, Marion, Bettendorf, Mason City, and many more!